The Municipal District of Bonnyville is currently seeking a dynamic individual to fulfill the role of General Manager of Planning & Community Services.
Our rural community (www.md.bonnyville.ab.ca) is a thriving municipality in northeastern Alberta, 2.5 hours northeast of Edmonton. The M.D. has a fantastic community base of 12,000 residents, and an excellent, growing economy consisting largely of agriculture and oil-related industries.
Reporting to the CAO, the General Manager of Planning & Community Services is responsible for the coordination of all activities required to develop and operate the Planning, Development, Land Acquisition, Safety Codes, Environment, Geographical Information System (GIS), and Parks, Recreation & Culture divisions.
The ideal candidate will possess secondary training in a related field, ten (10) years of experience in municipal planning and development as well as community services, of which six (6) are at a supervisory/managerial level, excellent leadership, and proactive skills.
The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate leadership, direction, and accountability to the Manager of Planning & Development, Environmental Coordinator, GIS Analyst, Director of Parks, Recreation & Culture and all staff within the departments.
- Form an integral part of the executive team to provide guidance on overall organizational strategic planning and growth strategies.
- Set organizational performance measures and subsequent evaluation methods in collaboration with the executive team.
- In consultation with the CAO, ensure the goals and objectives of Council are achieved.
- Provide expertise, guidance, and recommendations to the CAO, executive team, and organizational leaders in all aspects of the Planning and Development, Parks and Recreation, and Community Services divisions.
- Implement and monitor the department’s business plan and annual budget.
- Manage the approved operating and capital budgets and remain compliant to municipal policy.
- Research, evaluate, and negotiate land acquisition processes and plan effective compensation strategies.
- Ensure all environmental issues and concerns are addressed and are in accordance with legislation, regulations, and policy.
- Ensure the GIS system captures, stores, and analyzes geographical data.
- Ensure the safety codes are in accordance with the Safety Codes Act and all policies as defined by the municipality.
- Participate in the planning and evaluation of programs to assist in promoting economic development.
- Promote a positive image of the department through strong community relations, committees, and boards (Centennial Centre/FCSS).
- Provide governance in accordance with current legislation policies, processes, and procedures.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package are available. Specifics will be discussed in a personal interview.