Family Community Support Services / Volunteer Development Coordinator (F.C.S.S. Coordinator)
Responsible and accountable for the identification of social requirements within the community of Slave Lake in addition to developing and implementing effective programs designed to enhance the quality of life and respond to the social needs of the residents.
Responsible for Volunteer Development including support and consultation services to community groups, individuals, recruitment and placement of volunteers and the compilation and dissemination of community
POSITION REPORTS TO:
Director of Community Services
DIRECT REPORTS TO THIS POSITION:
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
1. Provides for the planning and development of F.C.S.S. related programs and services.
- Participates in assessing unmet needs, social planning and program evaluation as required
- Consults, coordinates, and identifies planning and development opportunities that strengthen the volunteer sector in the community.
- Using a variety of methods, collects, compiles and disseminates information on the community that is useful to the public and local organizations (e.g., the resource directory).
- Recruits, trains, appraises, supervises and releases volunteers who are required for municipal programs and services from time to time.
- Identify social needs within the community and facilitate the development of effective social programs designed to respond to these needs.
2. Provides or facilitates the delivery of community-based programs, special events and services.
- Provides assistance to community organizations through the provision of resources materials, consultation services, training opportunities and access to designated equipment and space.
- Plans, coordinates and delivers a program to provide for the promotion and development of volunteerism in the community.
- Encourages the coordination of services among various groups with the objective of minimizing overlap, inefficiencies and jurisdictional confusion.
- Responsible for the marketing and promotion of all programs offered by the F.C.S.S.
- Liaise & partner with the Children’s Resource Council on programming provided in the community and serve as a Council appointed member on the High Prairie & District Children’s Resource Council Board
3. Provides effective communication to internal and external entities.
- Prepares reports for the Director of Community Services, Town Council, and other levels of government as required.
- Responsible for the completion of all grant proposals related to the position and ensure that all accountability requirements are met.
- Seeks to inform and motivate the community to act on specific matters of social concern.
- Prepares the annual FCSS budget and presents to the Director of Community Services. Ensures that all required reports and program audits are completed in accordance with set Provincial guidelines.
- Attend all Community Services Department meetings; attend Town Council and Community Services Portfolio meetings when directed and all meetings related to the position.
- Seeks to collaborate, cooperate and participate in initiatives with partners that have goals and objectives that are consistent with FCSS philosophy and mandate, including but not limited to the Slave Lake and Area Mental Health Network and the Homeless Coalition.
4. Provides for and participates in Professional Development opportunities.
- Maintains ongoing contact with the Provincial FCSS network i.e., regional meetings, conferences, workshops, etc.
- Attends conferences or training opportunities that are relevant to the position within approved budgetary guidelines.
- Ensures the development and maintenance of a resource library related to the FCSS mandate.
5. Health and Safety
- Health and Safety: Must adhere to all safety standards under the Occupational Health and Safety Legislation, Town Policies and Procedures and WHMIS Guidelines. For specific responsibilities of this position, refer to the Town's Health and Safety Policy, Section 2 — Responsibilities for CAO, Directors, Supervisors and Workers.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Legislation relating to or relevant to Family and Community Support Services Act and Conditional Agreement Guidelines such as the Employment Standards, Freedom of Information and Protection of
- Privacy, Societies Act, Individual Rights Protection.
- Knowledge of preparing grants and funding proposals.
- Knowledge of Social Services and Social Theory
- Knowledge of human growth and development.
- Knowledge of social planning and community development.
- Computer literate including but not limited to Microsoft Outlook, MS Word, Excel and Publisher.
Skills and Abilities
- Superior Communication Skills both written and oral. Ability to work in a team environment.
- Research and report writing skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Experience working with not-for-profit organizations and boards.
- Maintain confidentiality and consideration when dealing with staff and volunteers.
- Ability to plan and facilitate special events and workshops.
- Uphold positive, professional relations with community group and individuals. Be fair and unbiased when dealing with community groups and individuals.
University Graduation in a related field such as volunteer management or Social Work plus two years’ experience or a related diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution and four years related experience. Equivalencies considered.
How to apply:
Send your cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources, Town of Slave Lake
10 Main Street S.W. P.O. Box 1030,
Slave Lake, Alberta T0G 2A0
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates invited for interviews will be contacted.