Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farmland, and mixed wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
The Director, Community Services reports to the Chief Administrative Officer and provides support to Council for the planning, organization and direction of the Community Services Division including Family & Community Support Services, Agricultural Services, Recreation Services, Fire Rescue Services, Enforcement Services and Economic Development.
Salary range for this position is between $150,000 - $190,000 based on experience.
- The Director, Community Services has six (6) direct reports: Manager, Family & Community Support Services; Manager, Agricultural Service; Manager, Recreation Services; Manager, Economic Development; Regional Fire Chief, Fire Rescue Services and Sergeant, Enforcement Services.
- Supervisory duties include training, budgeting, mentoring, performance evaluations, and coaching / monitoring tasks.
- This position may undertake the role of Acting Chief Administrative Officer if necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
While contributing at the senior management level to the Municipal District’s strategic direction, values and vision, the Director, Community Services will perform the following duties:
- Through Department Heads, plans, organizes, directs and controls the Community Services Division; establishes and implements Municipal policy, sets goals and objectives.
- Ensures that policies and programs adopted by Council and / or the Chief Administrative Officer are transmitted to Community Services Managers and employees.
- Provides direction as to policy implementation.
- Administers the Division in conformity with the strategic direction, corporate policy, and all relevant statutes, bylaws and resolutions.
- Ensures reports to Council presented from Departmental Managers meet the objectives of the Chief Administrative Officer and contain the necessary information and recommendations to facilitate Council’s decision making.
- Provides direction and control related to the preparation of the provisional and annual budgets of the Community Services Departments.
- Coordinates and directs the preparation of long-range operational and capital plans.
- Attends all Council meetings and attends meetings of Committees, Commissions and Advisory Bodies on request. During meetings, makes observations, suggestions and recommendations as appropriate.
- Act as a liaison between Council and staff while also ensuring effective communication between staff and Council with regard to operational matters.
- Provides information to Council, staff, media and the general public concerning existing and proposed policies, practices and programs of the Municipality.
- Ensuring that Council approved policies and procedures are adhered to within the division.
- Acting as a liaison with local Boards and Community groups.
- Participating in and encouraging participation by staff in non-departmental corporate projects and teams.
- Ensuring that employees of the division are provided with a safe and healthy workplace consistent with organizational standards and the healthy workplace initiatives.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above to a high degree of quality, timeliness and precision.
- Post-secondary education in Business or Public Administration, or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in Senior Management Operations with supervisory experience preferred.
- Class 5 driver’s license.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and public relations skills.
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to inquiries from Employees, Management, Council and Ratepayers.
- Familiarity and understanding of Municipal Government Acts, bylaws, policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of municipal operations and sufficient knowledge of the functions of Family & Community Support Services, Agricultural Services, Recreation & Culture and Economic Development to provide effective overall leadership for these functions and to represent service needs to the Senior Leadership Team, Council and the Community.
- Good knowledge of project management practices and principles.
- Ability to provide timely, high quality services that effectively serve the needs of Council and the community.
- Ability to work collaboratively, ensuring interpersonal skills contribute to effective team functioning and performance.
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Extensive use of computer and telephone.
- Long periods of sitting, good lighting, temperature and noise control.
- Minimal physical effort; occasional light lifting.
- Use and operation of a vehicle.
- Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; however occasional overtime may be required.
- Some travel may be required.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
- All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
Interested candidates may submit cover letter (stating the position you are applying to) and resume in one of the following ways:
By E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (please quote the position in the subject line)
Mail or Drop Off:
Municipal District of Greenview No. 16
4806 – 36 Ave., Box 1079
Valleyview, Alberta T0H 3N0
Confidential Fax: 780-524-3981
While we truly appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.